Sunday, August 13, 2006

Greetings, July06!

Dear Friends,

Hope things are well with you. For me, this month too has been mostly peaceful and relaxed. It has been a long and sunny summer and it's still on. I heard this is the dryest summer in about 50 years or something here in Finland.

Apart from enjoying the good weather and going swimming I did few roadie-gigs. Gun's 'n Roses and Eric Clapton. Both projects went well. It was fun to see Gun's n Roses live, for I was a fan of them in Primary School. My first cd was a G'n'R album.
Clapton's gig was different. More older folk. Everyone was seated. More blues-orientated material. They had a big band, maybe eleven or twelve people on stage. Back-up singers, horn-section, three guitarists.

I also saw few really good concerts in Ruisrock this month, which is a rock-festival, obviously. My favourite there was definitely Tool. Great music and great visuals projected to big screens. The band played very well, and the singer Maynard Keenan was extraordinary. Morrissey also pulled a good concert at this festival. He predicted that Italy would win the world-cup that night, as they did. He actually said that he already knew the result because the match is being fixed, then he added quickly that he's just joking. One's who have been following the European football-scene lately know what this joke refers to.
The Tool-concert was a wonderful experience, it was like a big meditation. I knew the songs and people around me were as excited as I was. I did not expect it to be this good. It had been almost 10 years since last time I went to a rock-festival.

I spent couple of days helping my dad in the forest this month. He has this big chopping machine now, with which we are able to make quick progress. It is nice to do occasional physical work like that, especially in that setting...beautiful forest at summertime. Even the bugs and insects have left us in peace so far. I haven't seen any bears yet, but I've heard there are bears in that area.

We have started a study-circle with few friends. We have met once a week or once every two weeks. First one person speaks a little about some topic ( usually they are about spiritual philosophy ) and then we have a discussion. There have been good discussions. Topics have included: Non-dualistic philosophy, Gnostic philosophy, Rudolf Steiner and his lifework and finnish writer Pekka Ervast's ideas.

What else? I've been playing football twice a week. It feels that my touch is getting better than what it was in early summer. This feels good. We have a good group there. My brother Tomi is playing there too.

I also went to Keitel-jazz happening to hear Olavi do a solo-gig there. This was the second one of this kind of gigs for him. It was different than the first one, but equally enjoyable.

I've been also watching lots of movies. Not surprising, eh? Some good ones this month: Mar Adentro ( Meri Sisälläni ) ..spanish movie about euthanasia...movie about Life and Death...very touching. Very recommended. Good Night and Good Luck, political film by George Clooney. A black and white-movie. Deals with communist " witch-hunt" in the 50's.
Interesting movie. I like political movies that have courage as a major theme in them. This is one of those.
My brother had a birthday this month, we went to see Pirates of the Caribbean 2, good entertainment, few good laughs. A bit too long in my opinion. Recommended if you want some easy-going entertainment with well-done special effects.

One great comic-book, or maybe a graphic novel would be a better term, I read this month: Neil Gaiman's Endless Nights. Part of the Sandman-series. This is one good example of how 'comic-books' can well be art.

Tomorrow I start my work at Steiner-school again. My work is going to be different from what I did last spring. I am assistant for the main teacher in the class. Then I will be special assistant for one student. I am a bit nervous right now, but also looking forward to it. I am going to work in this class and with this student untill christmass-holiday at least. Wish me luck and send me loving thoughts.

Situation in Middle-East has not been good. Let's hope that the cease-fire that is due to start tomorrow will be as long as possible. Let us send prayers and love there. And if there is a chance to do something more for peace, let's do it.

It is almost midnight now and I am starting early so it is time for me to hit the sack. Better start adjusting my summer sleeping rhytm now.
Keep writing to me. We stay connected!

Much love to you,
Anssi M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home